Friday, October 19, 2012

Day Two Hundred Ninety Three

Dear Readers,
      Raina has been in Oregon for less than twenty four hours, and I am already completely jealous of her.  Here I have been slaving away at my job, working more overtime then I have in the last two months combined in a period of three days, and she is having the time of her life.  Eating like a queen, because the friends she went to visit are some of the best cooks this side of the Mississippi.  This family is a close second to Raina's cooking.  Everything is homemade.  Pizza, cinnamon rolls, onion bread, cake mix cookies and an assortment of other delicious delicacies.  Raina has already sent me pictures of the homemade pizza they had last night, the cinnamon rolls they had this morning and then an awesome view from their hike they took today.  All while I have been digging a hole and getting muddy and tired.  Banging my knuckles on the edge of the asphalt.  Forcing guys that have been working just as much as I have to keep on working.  And trying to get in time for meals and my blog in the mean time.  I am not mad at her though.  I am actually very happy for her.  We haven't been able to make it out to Oregon for quite some time.  Especially when you consider there was a time when we were going about twice a year and now we have only been out there once in the last two years.  So this is good for Raina to get away and enjoy a vacation.  It is just a bummer that I am still here letting my job take a toll on my body.  I miss my wife.  I just pray she has a fantastic trip and comes home to me safely.
      Since I am partially on the subject of homemade food, what is it that makes homemade food so much better than any kind of processed/quick fix food?  You would think that with all the technology we have now that they would find a way to replicate a home cooked meal.  Nothing comes close.  Probably not until we get to the days of Star Trek and there is a machine that can just phase in a replica of a home cooked meal right in front of you in seconds.  There is just nothing that surpass a meal that was done with care and time.  I guess part of it could be all the energy that is put into a meal sometimes.  For the cooks themselves I mean.  Because when Raina makes me dinner, usually there isn't any effort on my part, but for her it must be even better because she understands the time and effort it took to make it.  I just know that just about anything Raina cooks for me is downright delicious.  I attribute her good cooking to my gut.  I don't have a beer gut, I simply have a food gut.  And anytime I go up to Oregon with Raina, it gets even worse, because we get spoiled up there.  Three solid meals a day.  With snacks in between and topped off with desert.  That's why we have to do the hikes when we go up there, to help offset all the caloric intake.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get out there.  I did jokingly tell Raina that I was going to fly out there by myself in two weeks.  The more overtime I work, the more I actually consider doing it.

This Day In History: 1781
British General Charles Lord Cornwallis surrendered to U.S. General George Washington at Yorktown, Virginia. It was to be the last major battle of the American Revolutionary War.

Born This Day: 1966
John Favreau - American actor and director. (Iron Man)

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
-John Quincy Adams








I don't ever want to have to shop for this.

Especially when I could be shopping for this.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment