Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day One Hundred Fifty Three


Dear Readers,
      We have taken off to a far away land.  Traveled for miles upon miles to take a mini vacation.  In beautiful Newport Beach.  Yes, it took us all of thirty minutes to get here.  It is Raina’s dad’s birthday that we are celebrating this weekend.  He is turning the big sixty this year.  I should say that he already turned the big sixty this year.  We are spending the weekend in Newport, right next to Fashion Island.  So far, we have checked in to our fancy Marriott hotel room and gone to dinner for a mini celebration.  The grilled cheese and tomato bisque soup was fantastic.  Which makes me wonder, that if the menu item was called Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque, would you need to ask the waiter if it was a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato bisque soup on the side?  Wouldn’t you think that it was assumed that the soup was on the side of an actual grilled cheese, that could have bacon or avocado added?  I think most people would, but not my brother in law Brandon.  He sure did ask what it meant.  This is the same guy that asked what “bone in” means.  I am sure it is a simple mistake, but it really is funny to be giving him a hard time about it.  We really couldn’t stop laughing when we heard him asking our waiter.  You can always count on Brandon for a good laugh. 
      Even though it is Mark’s birthday we are celebrating, he managed to bring a gift for Raina and I.  Mark managed to get his hands on a pair of tickets to game three of the Stanley Cup Finals.  Yes, Raina and I will be heading to the first Kings home game against the New Jersey Devils.  I am so freaking excited.  Especially since I have really been getting into hockey lately.  Not to mention the bet I have on them to win it all this year.  I never thought my first championship game was going to be a hockey game.  If I had to guess, I would have guessed an NBA championship game, or a World Series game, or even a Super Bowl.  So much for that, I am going to watch the Kings stomp on the Devils.  I am hoping for a sweep.  The only thing that worries me is that the Kings are undefeated on the road and their only two losses on the playoffs are at home.  I am hoping the first game I go to isn’t a real disappointment.  This needs to be a lasting memory, because who knows when I will get another opportunity to do something like this again?  Monday night, I will be there rooting on the Kings.  Win the game, win me some money.  Maybe even some big hits.  I am sure there will be some hits.  It is playoff hockey after all.  Everything gets more intense in the playoffs.
      Now I am off to the gym for a short workout.  I didn’t get time to run after work, so I need to get something in to burn off all the cheese and creamy soup I ate.  Still getting ready for the Spartan Race.  Maybe I will be able to drag Brandon with me.  Probably not though.

This Day In History: 1638
An earthquake rocks Plymouth, Massachusetts.  It was the first time colonists in the New World had observed this phenomenon.

Born This Day: 1926
Andy Griffith – American actor

“I’ve been on a calendar, but never on time.”
                                                                   -Marilyn Monroe







They really do, don't they.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment