Monday, June 4, 2012

Day One Hundred Fifty Six

Dear Readers,
      That was so unfreakin believable.  That had to be one of the best sporting events I have ever been to, and I have been to some pretty cool sporting events.  So much fun and so much excitement.  That was one of the best environments and some of the best fans I have seen.  The only thing I can equate it to is sitting in the student section at an Oregon Ducks football game.  It is what I imagine going to a World Series game at Dodger stadium to be like.  I hope to experience that someday soon.  Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals and the Kings dominated it.  They really put on a show.  Taking advantage of two power plays to put points on the board.  Shutting down the Devils with an awesome show of defensive skills by their goalie, Jonathan Quick.  Is it just a coincidence that he shares my old football number, 32?  I think Raina and I are now officially King's fans.  We have the gear to prove it.
      I have the beard to prove it too.  Okay, it didn't start because of hockey, but I sure did get some respect for it at the game.  I got at least five compliments from different guys for my beard.  It was pretty stinking awesome.  I am not the only one with the beard either.  The guy we went with to the game has an epic beard as well.  So we look like bearded brothers at the game.
      This had to be one of the biggest experiences of my life.  It was a Stanley Cup Final game, and it was the Kings.  It is one of those moments that lives on with you forever.  A story that you can tell your kids about.  These kinds of memories are few and far between, so I was enjoying every moment of it.  The crowd was into every minute of the game.  All the oohs and awws.  The place was rocking when the Kings scored their goals.  I couldn't believe that out of all the people we sat by and walked past, I think I only saw one or two New Jersey fans.  The place was totally owned by Kings fans.  I have never been to a sporting event like that.  It was amazing to see a crowd totally controlled by one team like that.  I am really tempted to find some tickets to go to Wednesdays game and watch the completion of the sweep.  That would be unreal.  Just like baseball, hockey is full of superstitions.  So when the Kings won in such a dominating fashion, unlike the previous two games, the two people we went with, Josh and Melissa, they joked with us telling us that we had to go to the game on Wednesday.  All part of the superstition of the game.  I say that they were joking, but I am not sure how much was actually joking on their part.  They really are die hard Kings fans.  I will never forget our transformation into true Kings fans.  I will never forget this game.  Go Kings!!  SWEEP!!

This Day In History: 1965
The English rock group Rolling Stones release "Satisfaction", one of their most enduring hits.

Born This Day: 1738
George III - British king during the American Revolution, the longest reigning king of Great Britain.

"Sometimes people ask, 'Are hockey fights real?' I say, 'If they weren't, I'd get in more of them.'"
-Wayne Gretzky




Some pictures of our fantastic night at Staples Center.




Just a little taste of how awesome the crowd was tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I just want to make this very clear Ortega. We were not joking about you two having to be in LA for the game. This is no joke. ;) we will pick u both up at noon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to make this very clear Ortega. We were not joking about you two having to be in LA for the game. This is no joke. ;) we will pick u both up at noon!

    ReplyDelete