Monday, June 11, 2012

Day One Hundred Sixty Three

Dear Readers,
      The Kings have finally won the Stanley Cup, after years of grueling agony.  They have never won the cup and now it is their year.  What an awesome game it was.  I have to really give it up to Kings fans for sticking through all those years of heartache.  If it was as awesome for someone like me who is a new fan, it must have been especially sweet for those fans of many many years.  I know that my friend from work, Josh, who has been a life long Kings fan, was having an amazing night over at Staples Center.  I have to say that I am pretty stinking jealous of him being at the game.  I got a little taste of what it was like at game 3, and it must have been a hundred times better then that.  I have never seen fans like Kings fans.  They really know how to pump up their team.  That place was rocking.  I also have to say that hockey does have the best trophy of all sports.  How do you beat the Stanley Cup.  It isn't a new trophy every year.  It gets passed from team to team and every player gets one day with the cup for themselves.  Just imagine the stories the Stanley Cup could tell if it could talk.  I mean it is a huge cup.  Everyone gets to drink champagne out of it and hoist it across the ice.  Oh, and you get your name inscribed on it, forever.  Never forgotten. 
      Raina and I are hooked on the Kings.  I think we may actually look into some season tickets for nest year.  As long as they haven't gone up too much or aren't already completely sold out after their amazing Stanley Cup run.  You know those things are going like hotcakes right now.  I heard from a friend of a friend that was trying to get a job in the tickets sales department for the Kings and was turned away because they had already sold most of their season tickets and didn't need sales people anymore.  Amazing what winning will do for ticket sales.  Either way, I think it would be a blast to have season tickets.  Hockey is fast paced and has big hits and supremely entertaining.  Now that I mostly understand what is going on and the rules, I enjoy it even more.  It helps that Raina enjoys it too.  Something that we can enjoy and go to together.  It will be year round LA, between Dodgers and Kings.  Throw in a few Laker games and it is year round sports.  Not to mention watching some Oregon and 49er football.  Man I love sports.  At least I get to enjoy and cheer along with my wife for some of these sporting events. 
      We went to watch the game at Buffalo Wild Wings.  It was full of Kings fans and full of life.  Everyone cheered and gave high fives every time the Kings scored.  We were miles away from Staples Center, but we cheered them along, just as if we were there at the game.  Plus we got to eat some wings while watching the game.  Of course Raina and I wore our Kings gear and I got some compliments for the beard.  Another awesome night.  Not ready to go back to work tomorrow.

This Day In History: 1919
The powerful horse Sir Barton captures the U.S. horse race the Belmont Stakes, becoming the first horse to win the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes in one year.  The feat would later be called the Triple Crown.

Born This Day: 1913
Vince Lombardi - American football coach
2001 - Amelia Garrard (Happy Birthday you cupcake!!)

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
-Vince Lombardi








Some pics of our night at Buffalo Wild Wings.  Go Kings Go!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment