Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day Two Hundred Twenty Two

Dear Readers,
      Remember what I said about celebrating birthdays?  Well, we went out tonight with my father in law, Mark, and his wife Nancy to celebrate my brother in law's birthday.  I think that is three days in a row for Brandon.  Good for him.  Before heading out to dinner though, and after getting home from work, I went on a run for the second day in a row.  The Long Beach half marathon is only two months away, so there is a lot of training that needs to be done to be ready.  Yes, I know that I am crazy for going on that run with the heat scorching the Earth the way it was today.  I sure did notice it, and I was ready to call it quits even before getting to the half way mark of my run.  I pushed through it though and finished out my three mile run with sweat pouring from my forehead.  I just kept thinking to myself that I just had to take it one step at a time.  One more step, one more step, one more step...  I think I could have wrung the sweat out of the shirt and shorts after that run.  It was like running in a sauna.  Just have to fight through it.
      It was dinner at Roman Cucina in Fullerton.  I know I recommend so many food joints, but for Italian food, this place is one of the best.  Especially their Chicken Parmigiana, which is a huge slab of chicken that covers the plate of pasta.  You actually have to eat through the chicken to get to the pasta.  Just the way I like it.  So, another night of good food and good company.  I hope Brandon really enjoyed his birthday this year.  Including the little desert run we made after dinner.
      I don't know exactly how it was brought up that we would do this, but it came up some how and went for it.  We went to Farrell's in Brea for the first time.  It is a famous place that I think originated in Fremont, CA.  For those of you who don't know, it is an ice cream parlor.  About a hundred different options for desert.  Sundaes, splits, waffle cones, floats and milkshakes.  I tried something completely different tonight for myself.  Normally I would just have an Oreo shake or vanilla shake, but I went out on a limb and tried the Root Beer shake.  The floats are fantastic, so why wouldn't a milkshake version be any less awesome?  It turned out to be a really good choice, even though I was stuffed from dinner and could barely handle the sweet shake.  It was delicious.  I had to have some water with it to be able to handle the sweetness of the shake.  It was worth it though.  Something different and something delicious.  All four of us had to waddle out of there and I am sure the other three are still feeling the tightness in the stomach from all the food.  Worth it. 

This Day In History:1945
A second atom bomb is dropped on Japan by the United States, at Nagasaki, resulting in Japan's unconditional surrender in World War II.

Born This Day: 1631
Sir John Dryden - England's first official poet laureate.

"God has two dwellings; one in heaven, and the other in a meek and thankful heart."
-Sir Izaak Walton







Our evening out on the town.
Happy Birthday Bub.

By the way, nice shirt.

Farrell's Root Beer shake and water.


I'm already hurting. And I am not even half way done.

No comments:

Post a Comment