Friday, August 17, 2012

Day Two Hundred Thirty

Dear Readers,
     Recently my grandmother had to be taken to the emergency room for a blood clot in her lung.  My grandmother on my mother's side.  She has been very special to me throughout my few years on this earth, even though there is a major language barrier between us.  She only speaks Spanish, and my Spanish is extremely limited.  I have never been able to have a complete conversation with my grandmother and it is one of my greatest regrets.  Just to let you know, my grandmother is doing better and is at home, but she will have to take blood thinners and some kind of injection on a daily basis for a while.   She is much better, but not completely out of the woods.  So I ask for you guys to keep her in your prayers, not only to heal her bodily, but to give her a peace and comfort.  Going back to what I was talking about yesterday, having more time in the day, here is another thing I would like to do.  Learn Spanish.  Learning Spanish would have been a great benefit to me.  Being able to communicate with my grandparents, being able to communicate with all the Spanish speaking community out there that is always trying to speak Spanish to me.  I have that knack for anyone who speaks Spanish to start talking to me, assuming I speak the same language.  That is why one of the first sentences I learned in Spanish was "I don't speak Spanish".  Then I get that look of blank disbelief from everyone of them, like they know I am full Mexican and there is no way I don't know Spanish.  I always get asked how I grew up with bilingual parents and never learned the language.  I just say that my parents didn't want to teach me, so that they could talk in front of my sister and I without us knowing what they were talking about.  I'm sure it came in especially handy during Christmas time.  Eventually I started picking up a few words here and there, and then could decipher what they were talking about.  Maybe I should never have let them known that I knew enough, because I could have found out all my gifts in advance.  It's more fun being surprised anyways and it was worth seeing the surprised look on my parents face when they found out I could understand enough of what they were saying.  So, now I need to learn enough to be able to communicate with my grandparents.  I still have three grandparents alive and I want to make the most of what little time we have left on this earth.

This Day In History: 1903
American philanthropist Joseph Pulitzer makes a donation of one million dollars to Columbia University and starts the Pulitzer Prizes.

Born This Day: 1786
Davey Crockett - American frontiersman and soldier, defender of the Alamo.

" Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly







How do I get a house on that street?

No comments:

Post a Comment