Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day Two Hundred Thirty Six

Dear Readers,
     This is day two of "on call" watch.  This day of work just hasn't stopped.  We were busy all day today, and then I kept getting called out all night.  I don't remember the last time I got this many calls in one night.  Those don't even count the awesome one that I got at 2:30AM today.  Yup, they woke me up extra early, or extra late depending on how you look at it, to go out and shut off a fire hydrant that had been hit by a drunk driver.  Those dang drunk drivers.  Why don't they get drunk and drive about four hours earlier so they don't wake me up from my beauty sleep?  Or even six hours earlier.  Usually shutting off hydrants consists of working under a heavy downpour of cold water, while I try to find the valve cover in the street.  Only to then have to get chisels to pull it out and then use our valve key to shut off the valve.  Which can then be problematic at times.  Sometimes those valves aren't very good and you really have to put your back into it to get it off.  Thankfully, this one was not like those scenarios.  The valve cover was just outside the area that the water was falling on and I was able to shut it off without having to put on all my rain gear.  It is great to not have the back of your head and back get beat on by the heavy water falling down on top of you. 
      It is 10:00PM and I finally have some time to sit down and relax a little.  I am getting the notion that this will be one of my busiest times of being on call.  No worries though, because it will make for a great paycheck.  It will definitely help to build the house saving fund.  It has been so busy at my work that I now have enough work to catch up on that we will be working on our two days off to attempt to catch up.  It is going to be a busy weekend.  That's alright though, because the busier I am, quicker this week will go by.  Hopefully I will get to sleep through the night this time.  Crossing my fingers, hoping for a prayer.

This Day In History: 1959
In the Peanuts comic strip, Sally debuted as an infant.

Born This Day: 1978
Kobe Bryant - Future NBA Hall of Fame basketball player.

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
-Ellen Parr




Work and more work.
Look at all that wasted water.  Doesn't that drunk driver know we are in a drought?

Mangled.

Hoping it doesn't break the electrical wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment