Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day One Hundred Thirty Seven

Dear Readers,
      This week at work we begin our furloughs.  Yes, the hard time on the economy is finally hitting me at work now.  We have agreed to furloughs for the next two years in exchange for job protection, which means I now get an extra Friday off every month.  It also means I am taking a five percent pay cut for the next two years.  Which has had me thinking lately, more than normal, about ways to supplement my income.  I have been considering different things for the past couple of years, it has just been hard because it is not worth it to take up my weekends with a part time job if I can work overtime.  It just simply pays better to work the overtime.  So I have been looking into ways to supplement that are more flexible in how my time is spent doing it.  So, Raina is going to kill me for finding out this way.  She is always telling me she is the last to know.  I would have told her sooner, but I forgot I did it until right now.  Which isn't good, because how am I supposed to work on supplementing my income if I forget my ideas right away.  Terrible memory.  Anyways, I was talking to a guy at my work, who is actually retiring this summer, about the possibility of doing real estate on the side.  He has done real estate on the side while working at the City in the past, so I asked for advice and to see how realistic something like this is.  He gave me some places to look up and learn about the opportunities that are out there.  Including a real estate business that does open houses to inform people like me who might be interested in become a real estate agent of some sort.  Not only would it be a neat way to make a little extra cash, but I could learn about the process of buying a house before we go through it ourselves.  Maybe prevent ourselves from doing something stupid or maybe find a way to save some money.  I know I have talked about starting my own business before, but I still have no idea what I would do exactly.  I am just not as creative as I would like to be.  That is what I get for being a left brain thinker.  So analytical and numbers oriented.  I used to want to own some kind of clothing company of some sort, but again, I am not creative enough to come up with designs or some new style of clothing.  I guess that is why I have never really been very "trendy" when it came to clothing.  It is usually about comfort for me.  Real estate just might be my thing.  I am going to have to do some research before I decide to do anything.  I don't want to waste my time with this.  If I decide I am going to do it, I am going to do it right.  So, before I make a rash decision and jump right in, it is about seeing if this is even possible to do on the side.  How realistic is this?  Any tips?  I am open to some suggestions.

This Day In History: 1869
The Cincinnati Reds, American baseball's first all-professional team, plays its first game.

Born This Day: 1905
Henry Fonda - Academy Award winning American actor.

"I dream for a living."
-Steven Spielberg







Death Star business meeting.

1 comment:

  1. go to some business seminars ad let the lectures inspire you...

    ReplyDelete