Friday, May 25, 2012

Day One Hundred Forty Six

Dear Readers,
      I can feel my strength dwindling.  A little more each day.  I think tomorrow may sap the rest of whatever is left.  Moving Day is upon us.  The Uhaul truck is here and ready to be packed.  Just need a good nights sleep before getting up bright and early to maneuver everything into the perfect position to squeeze into the truck and then squeeze into the storage unit.  I hope it is big enough for everything.  I don't want to have to find a place for whatever might be left.  Worse yet would be to have to get a bigger storage unit and then transfer everything that is perfectly packed, into another one.  With my luck it would be on the completely different end of the building, along with a different floor.  Crossing my fingers.  Knocking on wood.  Throwing salt over my shoulder.  PRAYING.  Whatever it takes.  It all has to be done in one trip too.  I don't want to have to pay for the extra miles.  Which brings me to something that grinds my gears.  Why do rental trucks leave their tanks practically empty and then tell you that you have to bring it back with the same amount of gas?  I knew it was going to happen to me today.  I show up to get the rental truck and they tell me that it has a quarter of a tank.  How am I supposed to make sure that I get it exactly the same after I am done moving?  You know they do it on purpose so that people will bring it with extra gas to be on the safe side.  I guess you could put in a little at a time until you hit the magic mark, but then you might have a half dozen transactions on your card.  Why aren't they full when you get them and then you just top it off on the way back in.  Then they would never have to worry about what level the gas tank was every time someone rents one.  You will always know that it is full.  It just seems a little ridiculous to me.  I know I am going to end up paying for more gas then I need.  Just giving the Uhaul place some more of my money, for nothing.  You have to do it too.  Otherwise there is a $30 charge on top of a $5 per gallon charge for any gas you may be short.  Ridiculous I tell you.
Our sweet ride to our new home.

      I think the worst part about this move, is losing our super comfortable couch.  I am not excited to see that go into the storage unit tomorrow.  I pray it is in the same condition it is now, when we get it out in six months.  One of my favorite things we did in this condo was sitting on that couch with my wife and veg out a little bit to watch some TV.  Goodbye couch.  

This Day In History: 1977
The American space-fantasy movie Star Wars, destined to become one of the most popular movies of all time, opens.

Born This Day: 1944
Frank Oz - English puppeteer who created the Muppets. He is also the operator and voice of Yoda. And if you don't know who Yoda is, then you should be wrangled up and shot.

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson




Thank you Frank Oz!

1 comment:

  1. We are all going to miss that couch and our favorite Monday night and holiday hangout.....oh the memories

    ReplyDelete