Monday, December 31, 2012

Day Three Hundred Sixty Five

Dear Readers,
     Only two days left. I can't believe I am almost at the end of this facial hair journey. Not to mention all the typing I have done. I wonder how many pages it would all add up to if I were to put it all together and print it all out. It is probably more then I typed up through my entire high school years. Especially since I didn't know how to type back then. I didn't learn until late in my senior year and into college. Now I can type on the computer, on the laptop, on my phone and I can speak it and it can be transformed into typed words. So many options. It's amazing what technology has changed. Everything is so much more immediate and creates impatience in us. We are so used to getting everything now. I can get my current events and sports updates to the second. No more waiting for the next days newspaper or listening to the radio for updates. Just amazing to see the breakneck speed at how technology is advancing. Makes you wonder where we are going to be even ten or fifteen years from now.
      It was another day of Christmas in the Ortega household. Celebrating with Kailee and watching her open all her gifts. She spent Christmas with her mom and didn't get to spend it with all of us this year. So we set aside this day to spend it with her. A feast of enchiladas, rice and beans. Even ceviche as an appetizer. A Mexican Christmas. Top it all off with some of Raina's wonderful coffee cake and it was another wonderful family evening. Only one day left of this 2012 and family and friends are exactly who I want to spend that time with. Them and my beard. Only one full day left of my winter coat. It's going to be cold after that. I have decided to go ahead and trim it down. Shave the beard and bring the goatee out of retirement. I have to take a passport photo soon and I definitely don't want to have it during our trip to Europe. I don't want to get "randomly" selected for a screening every time we get on a plane or train. I will probably get treated differently in that part of the world then I do here. I have a feeling they don't have as much love for the beard out there. So, I am sad to see it go, but I think it is going to have to be a necessity. If it weren't for our trip, I might have just forced my way and kept it. I think Raina may have planned that way without me realizing. Tricky wife.

This Day In History: 1916
Rasputin, the "mad monk," is assassinated by two relatives of Czar Nickolas II. Rasputin, who had exercised considerable influence over Czarina, was shot and beaten after poison failed to kill him.

Born This Day: 1865
Rudyard Kipling - Nobel Prize winning Indian born English author and poet. (The Jungle Book)

"Take everything you like seriously, except yourself."
-Rudyard Kipling




Yup, this is what they told me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment