Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day Two Hundred Six

Dear Readers,
     Since the majority of you out there have seen The Dark Knight Rises by now, I wanted to talk a little bit about what I liked and didn't like about the movie.  If you haven't seen it yet and don't want any spoilers, I suggest that you do not read tonight's blog until you have seen it.  Leave now.  If you don't mind having the movie spoiled a little bit, read away.
      First off, one of my favorite scenes is an homage to the original comic books.  When Alfred enters the Batcave through the secret entrance.  Pressing the the three keys on the piano to open the secret entrance.  For a comic book fan such as myself, that was really neat to see, even if they showed it briefly in the first movie.
      Secondly, who doesn't love having a bad guy like Bane in the movie.  He was pretty stinking awesome in the comic books and they did a pretty good job of keeping to the comics in the movie.  They even had Bane break Batman's back, just like in the comic books.  The circumstances surrounding it were different, but it happened nonetheless.  I just don't like how they don't really explain how the mask helps keep his pain at bay or the fact that it actually is for his venom, which gives him his excessive amount of strength.  I just wish they had explained it better.  I also didn't like how quickly it seemed that Batman came back from his broken back.  It was just too much crammed into such a short time of the movie that it made it seem like he was broken and the next minute he was fine, all because that guy hit him in the back to knock the protruding bone back in. 
      Thirdly, I was a little wary of another Catwoman so soon, but they did a great job with the Joker and I thought Anne Hathaway did a superb job as Catwoman.  I love the attention to realism that sticks to costume aspects from the comic books.  Such as the special glasses that Catwoman wears that when flipped up gives the appearance of cat ears.  I thought that was a nice touch.
      Fourthly, the fact that they introduced Talia al Ghul and as secretly as they did.  If I didn't know anything about the Batman comic books, it would have had me fooled.  As soon as they brought up the possibility of the kid escaping from the prison being Ra's al Ghul's kid, I knew it was Talia.  Sticking to the comic books.  That was also cool.  The whole movie was done really well and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute.  I still think it is hard to beat out Heath Ledger as the Joker and find that The Dark Knight is a better movie.
      Now, on to what I didn't like.  There was not enough Batman scenes.  I understand they had to bring him back, which made it kind of like a secondary origin story, but they could have done it quicker and added more action sequences.  Batman is the whole reason for the movie.  The movie isn't called "Bruce Wayne Rises".  We needed more Batman.  Then there was the whole twist at the end where the baton gets handed off to the police officer named "Blake".  Telling us at the end that his legal name is "Robin".  Giving away the fact that he is the next in line to protect Gotham.  I would have been fine with them changing the fact that he is not an orphaned son of circus performers, if they had said that his legal name was "Dick Grayson".  Which is his name in the comic books.  That would have been much better and been a little clue that only the comic book fans would have understood.  That, in my opinion, would have been a much better way to let the cat out of the bag.
      By the way, the Batwing...Very Cool!  Wish I could have one of those for myself.  And nice that everyone was probably a little bit fooled, expecting that Batman was going to die, only to see him escape yet again.  Loved that.

This Day In History: 1956
Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis ended their team. They ended the partnership a decade after it began on July 25, 1946.

Born This Day: 1898
Amelia Earhart - Female aviator.

 "The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
-Unknown Author








Hahaha.


No comments:

Post a Comment