Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day One Hundred Ninety

Dear Readers,
      We made it to San Francisco.  I was feeling a little bit better today.  Still have some congestion, but my sinuses didn't affect me near as much as the last two days.  I only had one major problem today.  My taste buds took a dump on me.  This whole being sick didn't allow me to smell or taste anything.  Until lunch time that is.  We had breakfast at some little diner near Union Square and I couldn't taste a thing.  My omelet with apple sausage and hash browns might has well have been tofu to me, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.  Then we went to Ghirardelli to get a little desert snack.  I just told Raina to get what she wanted, because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between her espresso coffee ice cream thing and a plain vanilla ice cream desert.  It was all the same.  What a tragedy it is to lose one's taste buds.  Life would be a lot more boring, but I guess it would be healthier.  All those fruits and vegetables that we don't like but are good for us would just be tasteless like everything else.  So you might as well eat the healthy stuff.  Still wouldn't be worth living without taste buds.


      Thankfully, at lunch time, I had the miracle food that brought my sense of taste back.  It was like the heavens opened up and filled me with the sweet goodness of tasty food.  We went to a little place called Sally's Famous Fishwich over at Fisherman's Wharf.  We ordered different things to be able to try out different items on the menu.  A fishwich, clam chowder in a bread bowl and a helping of garlic fries.  These weren't your average run of the mill garlic fries though.  These things were potent.  So much garlic that it will keep any vampire away in a five mile radius.  I can still taste the garlic in my mouth from it.  It was so potent in fact, that it kick started my taste buds and half way through the meal I started to actually enjoy it.  The clam chowder wasn't the best I have ever had, but after not being able to taste for half the day and half the meal, it was like heaven.  I didn't want to stop eating the garlic fries for fear that my sense of taste would go away.  I even ate extra in hopes of keeping it going for the rest of the day.  We haven't had dinner yet, but I can smell things now, which is a good sign that my taste buds are still intact.  Thank you Sally's for you awesome garlic fries.
      We walked all over that city today.  From Embarcadero, through China Town, to Ghirardelli, through Fisherman's Wharf and then followed the water all the way back around to Embarcadero.  Not to mention the traveling we did on the BART to and from Berkeley.  Lots of cool restaurants and shops and sites to see.  And to think we only touched a small percentage of the city.  One problem we had walking around early in the morning is that Raina and I planned on a warmer day, like it had been the last couple of days.  We knew it would be a little cooler, being closer to the water and all, but we thought walking around all day would keep us warm enough.  It wasn't, at least in the morning and midday.  Raina was freezing in her shorts and light jacket.  I was pretty cold too, but I was willing to bear it.  So, we did a little shopping to find Raina some warmer clothes for the day.  A trip to The North Face took care of a new light jacket for Raina and a trip to H&M for a new pair of pants for her as well.  We got them both on sale and they are both things that Raina will wear many times after, so it was worth it and I didn't mind spending the money.  I almost bought myself a new jacket, but it was pretty similar to the jacket I already have and decided against it.  When we got down to Fisherman's Wharf, I was really regretting that decision.  The wind was blowing and it was pretty stinking cold.  I made it through the day though and saved myself the money, so all's well that ends well.
Raina's new little outfit.
      Now we are getting ready for our last dinner in town with Raina's grandmother.  We head out in the morning for a nice little five to six hour drive home, and then back to school tomorrow night.  I still have to do my homework.  Hopefully I will have a little time tonight.

This Day In History: 1881
The first ice cream sundae is served by Edward Berner of Two Rivers, Wisconsin.  It was so named because he offered it only on Sundays.

Born This Day: 1952
Jack Lambert - American professional football player
1998 - Kailee Megan Prainito (My beautiful niece, Happy Birthday!!)
1980 - Elizabeth Allen (Happy Birthday to my hot friend!)

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is all comprehensible."
-Albert Einstein








Some other pictures of our day.
It is almost always trouble when we step into the Nike store.

Walking through China Town

Now I can become Wolverine

Or Rafael or Captain Hook

Hehe

A really big boat wheel

Part of the Golden Gate Bridge.  You can't see the top.

Gotta love the Niners and Jerry Rice.  Greatest wide receiver in football history.

The Rock

Look, I am showing you the rock

My beautiful bride and I

Lazy sea lion.  Must be nice.

Coit tower.  We didn't trudge it all the way up there.


Tie dye here, get your tie dye.  He he.

No comments:

Post a Comment