Friday, July 6, 2012

Day One Hundred Eighty Eight

Dear Readers,
      Here we are in beautiful Berkeley.  Our first day on our weekend vacation and my sinuses are still killing me, along with congestion in my left nostril.  I have been rubbing the tears out of my eye all day and now it is all red and puffy like I have been crying all day.  Driving out here with one eye was pretty difficult, so I had to be relieved by Raina.  I only drove the first hour and a half and she drove the rest of the way.  I normally do all or most of the driving, so today was a bit of a shift.  It was a really relaxing drive, other than the whole blowing my nose every fifteen minutes thing.  We made it safe and sound though and have had a relaxing day of swimming, unpacking and dinner with tea at Raina's grandmother's house.
      This place is pretty old fashioned.  It has an old fashioned name to match the style of building, The Claremont.  It is pretty fancy though.  Fancy shops inside, fancy restaurants and bars inside and a fancy spa a fitness center.  I know we are really going to enjoy this weekend, as long as the cold doesn't get any worse.  One of the coolest things is just driving too and from Raina's grandmothers, which is only about ten minutes away.  It's a quiet little college town with tons of shops and restaurants.  Not big name brand stores and the usual restaurants that are in every town, but tons of small bookstores and clothing stores and little family owned restaurants.  I love that kind of stuff.  Those big department stores and bookstores have all the same stuff, but with little family owned shops like this you really never know what you might find.  The restaurants tend to be really good too.  Little places where families make the same food their mother's cooked when they were kids.  Authentic Thai or Indian food, or even the Jewish deli they have here.  Saul's is one of those delis that we have been coming to for as long as we have been coming to visit Raina's grandmother.   We always go for breakfast.  They have french toast made from the Jewish Challah bread, which Raina gets every time we go.  Personally, I love their hash and eggs.  Absolutely mouth watering.  Not the healthiest thing on the menu, but I guess that is why I enjoy it so much.  Our tradition of breakfast at Saul's will be happening tomorrow morning.  A hearty breakfast in the morning and then it is off to downtown San Francisco.  I will make sure to wear my Dodger shirt all through the city.  Have to support my team, even in enemy territory.

This Day In History: 1957
Fifteen year old Paul McCartney attends a church picnic in the village of Woolton, near Liverpool, England, where he meets sixteen year old John Lennon.  Lennon had formed a band called the Quarrymen, which was playing at the picnic.

Born This Day:1747
John Paul Jones - American revolutionary naval hero.

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to."
-Jerry Seinfeld




This is what I will be saying at the end of the year.

1 comment:

  1. You should try a neti pot. I was skeptical at first but it really works.

    ReplyDelete