Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day One Hundred One

Dear Readers,
      It took me a few weeks to start getting into shape again.  This whole being sick and on call for work really screwed things up.  The first time I ran, which was about a week and a half ago, I could feel myself losing breath during the second mile.  Three miles used to be the warmup run before my actual workout at the gym.  I was having trouble with my warmup maintenance run.  Now I am back to three miles again, but I don't feel as strong about it as I did just a month ago.  I just ran a half marathon like two months ago.  I worked so hard and for so long to get to that point and I now feel like I am already starting over.  I know I am not completely starting over, because I haven't gained the weight back.  I am just weak.  Why is it that we can get out of shape probably three times as fast as it takes to get in shape?  It just isn't fair.  Well, I now have to get ready for the ROC Race in San Diego.  Raina and I have just over a month to get ready for it.  May 20th we launch.  ROC stands for the Ridiculous Obstacle Course.  Meaning it is a bunch of goofy obstacles that you go through during a 5k run.  Our friend Anna Torrez nominated us to do it with her.  Yes, she is a little bit crazy.  She is the same person that tried out for the show Wipeout.  I think you have to be a little crazy to do that show.  All the people I see on that show have at least one or two screws loose.  Most have more.  So, here we are getting ready for a race of ridiculousness.  We are one person short of a team though.  We need four.  So we are looking.  Maybe you should do it with us.  Drop what you are doing right now and let me know you are in.  You are right on the cusp, just do it.  Quit being lazy.  Okay, maybe not, but it can only benefit you to do this. 
      I managed to get half the day off work so I could come home and watch the home opener for the Dodgers.  I am glad I did.  It was a great game.  Exactly the kind of game I love.  A pitchers duel with everybody doing their job they are supposed to do.  It was almost the perfect game.  Dee Gordon started it off with his speed and let Matt Kemp drive him in.  Andre Ethier did his job as the clean up batter and hit a go ahead home run in the eighth inning.  Clayton Kershaw pitched a nearly perfect seven innings.  No walks to go with seven spectacular strikeouts.  He was getting everyone to swing on some nasty pitches.  Then completely fooled other guys.  Then you get your eighth and ninth inning pitchers to come in and close it out.  And they sure did.  Kenley Jansen striking out the side and Javy Guerra shutting the door to end the game.  Only thing missing was the home run should have been one inning sooner so that Clayton could have gotten the win.  Which brings me back to my point a few days ago.  Ken, I was right and you have to face it.  Clayton is the man.  You're in denial to think that Clayton has to win another Cy Young award to prove my loyalty that I gave him in his younger years.  Your argument that Tim Lincecum has two in his first four years is a moot point.  All you have to do is look at what Clayton did head to head against Timmy.  He beat him four times.  That is without much offensive help too.  I mean, the head to head match up has to be the best indicator to which team got the better pitcher.  Just think, if the Dodgers had picked Tim Lincecum instead of Kershaw in that draft, they would automatically have had four less wins last year,  because Kershaw would have been a Giant and beaten the same Tim Lincecum four times.  There is no doubt, I was right and you were wrong.  You aren't the lawyer in the family, you don't have to keep up the losing battle.  Just admit the obvious.  Clayton made another strong case for me today.  Seven innings on eighty eight pitches.  If this is the middle of the season and he hadn't of gotten sick last week, he would have finished that game in dominating fashion.  I'm right Ken.

This Day In History: 1834
A fire at a New Orleans mansion reveals the mistress of the house, Delpine Lalaurie, as a brutal sadist who maintained a torture chamber for brutalizing her slaves.

Born This Day: 1847
Joseph Pulitzer - Hungarian born American publisher.

"Fiction gives us a second chance that life denies us."
-Paul Theroux






You never know what you will find buried underground.  I wonder what the previous worker was doing on his lunch brake back in the day
Now, we drink coffee in the morning.  Back in the day, it looks like they started it off with a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment