Monday, April 23, 2012

Day One Hundred Fourteen

Dear Readers,
      Tonight, we have another special guest blogger.  My father in law, Mark Piliavin.  There is no one I know quite like Mark.  He is a character all on his own.  I have had the pleasure of knowing Mark for many many years now and he has a way of making me laugh every time I'm around him.  Whether I am laughing because of one of his jokes, or he does something to make me laugh at him.  I am hoping you catch a little bit of his humor in tonight's blog.  Enjoy everyone.  Maybe you might catch some similarities between him and his son, Brandon.

      First off, I'd like thank my daughter's husband, the opportunity to guest on his Fear The Beard thing. I'm not to sure what I'm supposed to fear. I do feel something, however I can think of quite a few things when it comes to David. However fear is not one of them. I've known David for quite a few years now. My first real experience with him, was on an outreach that I had the privilege of being invited to. David, Josh and I had a definite sports connection, and we'd discuss quite a few topics along with fighting over a Smith & Streets magazine on college football. After the outreach, I went to one of David's football games when he attended Downey Calvary Chapel High. I was sitting with Art, David's father. I can't remember who they played, but it was after a touchdown, and David was on the kickoff team. The other team had this kid on their team that was over 6ft tall, and must have weighed 300 plus pounds. David, being a buffed out 150 or so, ran like the dickens, down the field toward the other teams player that received the kickoff. Art and I were watching David, and all of a sudden David disappeared. Art, being the concerned father, started to worry about what happened to David. Well, I happened to notice that David was underneath the guy who weighed over 300 lbs. The guy got up, and watching David stumble to the sideline, made my day. I was never too concerned about my daughter's relationship with David, figuring at some point he'd realize that marrying her was the best thing he could ever do. Now a few words about David's beard. I could say something about what it looks like, however that wouldn't be appropriate on this blog. For his sake though, I would seriously consider a trim. We played golf last Saturday. David has always had a pretty decent golf game. However, this last Saturday, he couldn't hit a straight shot for all the tea in China. I told him the beard was throwing his game off, that either side he hit from, the beard had a bad effect. He did shoot a little better than I did, which goes to say how bad I am. I did though expect more from him. I'm taking Brent, Brandon and David to a tournament I go to every year in San Diego this June. With all the people there, the beard should make interesting fodder. I do love David though, and consider him a valuable asset to my daughter. Love you both, Mark

Thanks again, Mark, for sharing a little bit of yourself and maybe a little insight into myself with everyone.  It really has been a pleasure having you as my father in law, even when you steal the Street & Smith magazine away.


This Day In History: 1934
Notoriously violent gangster George "baby Face" Nelson, while escaping an FBI raid at Little Bohemia resort in Wisconsin, kills agent H. Carter Baum, saying, "I know you bastards wear bullet-proof vests so I'll give it to you high and low."

Born This Day: 1564
William Shakespeare - It is impossible to be certain the exact day he was born, but church records show that he was baptized on April 26, and three days was a customary amount of time to wait before baptizing a newborn.

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." 
- General George S. Patton





My bald and beautiful father in law. The one on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment