Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day Thirty Three

Dear Readers,
      My wife makes an absolutely delicious Pad Thai.  She makes so many delicious items, but Pad Thai has to be one of my favorites.  And tonight, Pad Thai for dinner.  Yum.  My first taste of this Asian deliciousness was back when I was still in college.  For what short time that was.  On Saturday mornings, when it wasn't raining, there was an open market in downtown Eugene.  So many fruits, vegetables and other items for sale.  Including your very own Tye Dye thong.  I mean, who doesn't need a Tye Dye thong in their arsenal of clothing.  Only in hippie Eugene.  Amongst all the wonderful stands and tents, was one place that sold Pad Thai.  It was so good, that I would make it a point to go whenever the market was open and get some.  One of my favorite meals.  Now fast forward about eleven years, and my beautiful wife decides to try a Pad Thai recipe.  It was the beginning to my life as a "fat" husband.  I love my wife's cooking.  Her Pad Thai is a wonderful mix of chicken and noodles with just a hint of lime.  Then I add my own variety of hot sauce on top.  There are three things that when she makes, I finish them off without leaving any leftovers.  Pad Thai is one of them.  It has become such an obsession for me sometimes, that Raina doesn't get to try new recipes, because all I want our my same favorites.  I think that if she made those same three meals once every week, I would be completely satisfied.  Three meals consisting of Pad Thai, Chili and Lasagna. 
      Part of it has to be that I am partially a glutton.  Food is like a drug sometimes.  I love eating my favorite foods and trying new things.  When it comes to my palette, I can be quite adventurous.  Thankfully, so is Raina.  Always willing to try something new.  Which has lead me to love all different cultural foods.  Indian food, Mexican food, Filipino food, Thai food, French food, Italian food, American food, Peruvian food and so many others.  Peruvian has to be my newest favorite.  My favorites rotate and change all the time.  Hopefully soon, Raina will decide to try and find a Peruvian recipe to make sometime.  I am sure it will end up being wonderful.  She is an amazing cook.  I guess that's why it is such a good thing we are running our half marathon.  Without the training it has forced us to do, I am pretty sure I would be twenty or thirty pounds heavier.  Like I say, I work out so I can eat what I want.  Who cares about looking good with all the wonderful meals out there just waiting to be devoured.  I think one of my dream jobs would be being a food critic.  Someone who gets to go around getting free meals, and then rating and writing about them.  That sounds like a fantastic job.  Maybe I should have gone to culinary school.  Oh well, I am happy being the test subject and food critic for Raina.  She can keep trying new recipes and I can keep rating them.  Seriously, every time she makes a new recipe she makes me rate it on a scale from one to ten.  If I am gonna die, I wanna go down eating.  Or something like that.

This Day In History: 1887
The first Groundhog Day is celebrated, in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. (And many many more times by Bill Murray)

Born This Day: 1895
George S. Halas - American co-founder of the National Football League

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell



Another softball night.  Went 2-3 with one run.  And totally missed a pop fly in the outfield.  A lot harder then it looks.  Also watched a guy on the other team hit a massive shot into the parking lot for a Grand Slam.




2 comments:

  1. Remember the first time I visited you in Oregon? You took me to the Saturday Market to try Pad Thai. Yum!!! I'm glad you like the way I make it babe, but when it comes to food you're pretty easy to please as long as its not salty, burnt caramel, or something that resembles hamburger helper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac and Cheese, stuffed shells, turkey meatballs, peach crisp
    That's all i have to say...

    ReplyDelete