Friday, February 3, 2012

Day Thirty Four

Dear Readers,
      Less than thirty six hours until my ensuing physical death.  Yes, the half marathon and all it's terrors are this Sunday morning.  I woke up this morning still in pain from the previous Sundays run.  It used to be that when I was younger, if you were hurting it meant you were doing something good.  That you had worked out properly and got something from it.  Now I am thinking that my aches and pains are a result of me doing something wrong.  My poor wife, less than two days to fulfill one of her dreams and her knee is acting up.  It was hurting her so bad today that she actually walked with a limp and had trouble walking up the stairs to our condo.  I am hoping she feels better really fast, because I would hate to see her not finish after working as hard as she has to get to this point.  It also might mean that if she isn't able to go, then I may end up doing another one of these torturous events.  I would never let her go through it alone.
       Raina and I went to pick up our race packets today.  They make you pick them up in advance so there isn't a huge crowd the day of the race trying to get their "bibs" with their race numbers on them.  They also have an Expo set up in a large tent with all kinds of racing products and clothing.  We took the tour, trying out different energy drinks and energy bars.  Seeing if there might be one that will work properly and not make us sick at the same time.  Some of those energy products really upset my stomach.  Better to do it today than during race day.  They had all kinds of running shirts, including my personal favorite, "The reason I am going this slow is to make sure I get my moneys worth from the registration fee."  I think that is going to be my motto for this race.  Just call me the "tortoise" amongst all those "hares" that are going to be out there.  I realized at that Expo, that I was one of the least in shape persons at that thing.  Uggh.  Then we heard about a guy who runs like two marathons a month all over the place.  That just seems inhuman to me.  Steroids.  It has to be. 
      So, pray for Raina and I as we torture our bodies one more time.  All in the name of "fun" and it being "good" for us.  We will need all the prayer we can get.  Me more than Raina.  If it weren't for the knee it would only be me needing the prayer.  I think the knee just makes it an even playing field between Raina and I.  So I say to my brother in law Brandon, if I die, you can have my laptop.  And you have to continue my blog as homage.  Every day, don't let me down.

This Day In History: 1959
American rock stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson die when their chartered plane crashes in Iowa.  Holly and his band, the Crickets, had just scored a No. 1 hit with "That'll Be the Day."

Born This Day: 1904
Charlie "Pretty Boy" Floyd - American Depression era criminal

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true." 
- James Branch Cabell



Outside the "Running Expo" after just receiving my race day packet


Only a truly great beard could pull this off

1 comment: